5 easy tips to avoid a Fashion Disaster

Ohkay.. India is a country where people are obsessed with fashion and style. However, not many of us get a look right. This is not because we do not know what is beautiful, instead it's because we do not know what to pair with which garment, which shoe to wear on what occasion,  which color goes with what, and the likes. So, here is my own little tip on how to get a look right and avoid a major Fashion Disaster. Remember, you do not want to be remembered because of a flaw you could have avoided.

1. Know Yourself and Accept it
Know your shape and complexion. This is the most important thing you need to keep in mind whenever you dress up. I don't think I need to tell you what flatters what shape because you must have read it a thousand times. It's there in almost every fashion magazine. Then where do we go wrong? Here. Accepting ourselves. Sometimes even though we know we are this or that, we don't seem to follow what will flatter us. This is mainly because we are blinded by the beauty of the garment or by the comments of friends whom we take advice from. Remember, at the end of the day, people will judge you, not from where you take your advice from.
2. Follow trends. 
Okay, this is where I beg to differ from most of the fashion advises given. For me, as much as personal style is important, the current "what's in Vogue" matters a lot too. If what's trending is not your style, you could always modify it here and there to make it yours... For example, I love floral and it is soooo IN this summer. However, it completely makes me unnecessarily colorful and distorted. So what do I do? I wear the dresses along with summery cardigans, or wear floral bow clips in my hair. Even if I do wear the dress, I make sure it is not multi-colored and I tie up my hair, neat. See, not following trends can really hamper your image. For example, You shouldn't be seen wearing bell-bottom jeans right now.
3. No blind trending. 
Now, this might look as a stark contrast to tip 2, but it is not. This is connected to tip both tip 1 and 2. I really believe in trending, but there are some trends which some people should just avoid. For me, Peplums are to be avoided because I have a heavy bottom. I avoid color-blocking too, because I have a dusky skin. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all dusky people cannot color-block, but it is a harsh truth that color-blocking favors just a few audiences. Just because Michelle Obama looks good with a yellow dress and parrot-green pumps, doesn't mean I can wear that to a gathering here.
4. Know your Age and Class. 
Forgive for my lack of appropriate words. However, I find it very funny when a college student dresses up too classy for her/his age. You might have the money, but save those. Even Queen B, Blair Waldorf (Yes, GG) dropped her headbands when she entered NYU, just to fit in! Spare the leathers for a classy event. If you are 40, a cloth handbag won't do either, leather spells fashion for you. Girls and guys, you have a lot of time to wear diamond jewellery, experiment with younger and innovative materials at a younger age. Act your age and know what suits your status in the society.
5. Know your city.
People stare at us in the streets either when we look A-H-M-A-Z-I-N-G or when we look like an Alien. Avoid the latter. We are no Lady Gaga, let's face it. As much as experimenting is cool, it is also important to note the social norms, climate or landscape of the place you live in. Wearing a maxi in New York may not be the most fashionable thing to do, and nor will shopping in heels in Mumbai.

P.S. Excuse my harsh truths. *burp*

Comments

Popular Posts